Friday, March 19, 2010

clean eating

I have always considered myself a pretty healthy eater. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and love fruits and vegetables, except for a select few (sorry brussel sprouts).

Toward the end of college I started to enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes. I even took a vegan-based nutrition course my last semester. Lately, though, I've been in sort of a cooking funk. I come home at the end of the day and just don't feel like making anything. Nothing sounds appealing, and of course I feel that whatever I do make, I've made a million times before. I have a subscription to Rachel Ray, but the few times I've tried her recipes, they haven't been too successful.

Well last week one of my co-workers came to my rescue when she introduced me to Clean Eating magazine. I only browsed through her copy, but ended up purchasing my own because it looked quite promising.


The website describes clean eating as "consuming food in its most natural state...It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle approach to food and its preparation, leading to health, well-being, and a lean look." The section I tried out first was their 5 day meal plan for less than $50. The magazine offers 5 recipes and a grocery list. I took that list with me on Sunday and it really did add up to less than $50. I've tried 4 recipes so far, and only one was a complete failure. But that was, in part, my fault because the grocery store didn't have an ingredient I needed, so I tried to substitute something else. Overall, these meals tasted good, used healthy, fresh ingredients and only took about 30-45 minutes to make. I'm excited to test out some more recipes. And I'm sure my body will start appreciating the decrease in fast food and frozen convenience meals.

I'd love to hear if you have any healthy eating tips or recipes to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment