Friday, August 13, 2010

makeup fail

So now that I've showed you our photos, I want to talk about makeup. Prior to the shoot, I mentioned that I made an appointment at Sephora because they offer "free" special occasion makeovers. Ideally, I would have loved to have a professional makeup artist, but the one that was recommended to me charged over $200! I just don't have that kind of money. I don't really know of any salons in the area that provide makeup services, so the next logical option was either a makeup counter in a department store or Sephora. I went with Sephora because you have the option to use any product in the store, whereas at a makeup counter you are usually limited to one particular brand (at least that's been the case in my experience).

Well Sephora ended up being a makeup semi-fail. I say semi because it wasn't all bad. My foundation, blush and lip color looked great. The eye makeup (including waayyy too filled in eyebrows), though - wow. If I were to put it delicately, I'd say it just wasn't me. But I'm more blunt, so I'll say that I was on the verge of looking like a streetwalker. Unfortunately I was too anxious and worked up to take a picture of myself, so you'll have to use your imagination.

The woman who did my makeup was perfectly nice and probably would have redone my eyes, had I asked. I'm just not the type of person to speak up, though, especially since I wasn't paying for her services (I even ended up walking out without making the required $50 purchase). So as soon as she was done, I raced out of there to find the future mister so we could leave, proceeded to have a mini-meltdown on the ride home, and bucked up and redid my eyes myself with the help of my mom over video chat. Crisis averted.

*photos by Heidi, cropped by me

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a beautiful job on your own and am glad you solved the problem! My makeup artist for the wedding did a great job of not overdoing it, since I wanted a really natural look. Heavy and dramatic makeup would have left me feeling really uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job for getting your make-up professionally done...I didn't get my make-up done professionally or my hair or anything! You look really good!! And I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete