Wednesday, September 8, 2010

wedding anxiety

These past few days/weeks I haven't really felt all that compelled to write. I'm not sure whether it's just a case of writer's block, or maybe the fact that we're in a bit of a planning lull at the moment. But I think that it's most likely attributed to the fact that I'm starting to feel some wedding anxiety. It's not anxiety over not having enough of the planning complete (although, being type A, I might start to feel that in the coming months). Instead it's anxiety over whether my wedding will be "good enough." And by "good enough" I don't mean according to our guests' points of view, but rather according to my expectations. I am slightly obsessed with wedding blogs, and have been for at least six months before the future mister and I were even engaged. It started off with Style Me Pretty and quickly grew to include Once Wed, Southern Weddings Magazine, Weddingbee, Snippet & Ink, and dozens more. I pour over these on a daily basis and star or bookmark the ones that inspire me the most. This has never been a problem. Until now.

Now I'm reaching the part in our planning where all of my ideas and inspirations are about to turn into concrete, tangible things. And to be honest, this kind of scares me. Save the date handkerchiefs, blue mason jars filled with flowers, burlap table cloths, mis-matched bridesmaid dresses, the list goes on. What if the real things don't live up to the beautiful images in my head? I feel crazy admitting this, but my heart starts pounding just thinking about it. I'm sure everything will turn out as it should, but I still can't shake this recurring anxiety.

Did/have you experience(d) any wedding anxiety during your planning? How did you handle it?

2 comments:

  1. I had the exact same fear going into my wedding, but you know what? When I finally saw everything all put together that day, I could have cried with joy. As long as you put the effort into making sure your vendors understand your vision, and also make sure any DIYs are done in the way you'd like, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Plus, you'll be so hyped up and excited that the details will blur together, anyway. Trust me, it's hard to feel disappointed when surrounded by so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you pulled together an inspiration board yet? that helped me.

    ReplyDelete